Authorities: Nashua fire that injured woman rescuing her pets was accidental, caused by space heater | New Hampshire
All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Authorities: Nashua fire that injured woman rescuing her pets was accidental, caused by space heater

By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent

January 19. 2018 1:13PM
Nashua firefighters located Norma "Connie" Berube, trapped on the first floor of 93 Lock St., and carried her out of the burning house through a window Sunday morning. (Jeff Hastings)



NASHUA — The fire that destroyed a Lock Street home and severely injured an elderly resident last week was caused by a space heater and has been deemed accidental, fire officials said Friday.

Norma “Connie” Berube was injured during the Jan. 7 fire at her 93 Lock St. home when she went back into the burning building to save her pets.

The 85-year-old was rescued by firefighters and after initial treatment at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua she was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

She was recovering at the hospital for at least a week.

“I have not had any contact with the family since last Friday, so I don’t know if she has been released from the hospital,” said Adam Pouliot, fire marshal with Nashua Fire Rescue.

Hoarding conditions resulted in heavy fire and made it difficult for firefighters to access the building, fire officials have said. It took 40 firefighters about 90 minutes to control the two-alarm blaze.

A family member who had been living in a basement apartment was displaced by the fire, Pouliot said.

khoughton@newstote.com


Fires Nashua


More Headlines