Executive Council declines to revisit Graham nomination for judge
CONCORD — Despite a plea from District 4 Executive Councilor Chris Pappas, D-Manchester, the Executive Council declined Wednesday to reconsider the nomination of Dorothy Graham to be a Superior Court judge.
One of the three Republicans who voted against her nomination Nov. 4 had to move to reconsider their vote, but none did.
At Wednesday’s meeting, Pappas noted the support of law enforcement and past presidents of the NH Bar Association, which placed newspaper ads Tuesday urging the council to reconsider its vote on Graham.
“She brings an impressive resume and I hope the council will take another look at this nominee,” Pappas said. “She should not be voted down because of her position as a public defender.”
When none of the three Republican councilors moved to reconsider the vote, Gov. Maggie Hassan expressed her disappointment.
She said she was concerned that several councilors said they could not support Graham because of her position as public defender.
At the Nov. 4 meeting, Chris Sununu, R-Newfields, said Graham did very well at her public hearing, but she had been a public defender her entire career and he would like to see some prosecutorial experience.
The Washington Free Beacon had criticized Hassan for nominating Graham, saying the public defender had appealed cases for child sex offenders trying to get them off on technicalities.
Joe Kenney, R-Wakefield, raised the issue as the reason he voted against her nomination.