All Sections

Home | Crime

Hudson man who was arrested in standoff also faces charges from July police chase

Union Leader Correspondent

February 02. 2018 9:17PM


NASHUA — Prosecutors say they may look into the possibility of incorporating a Hudson man’s charges from a July police chase with his most recent arrest this week, an early morning standoff with officers, in a potential plea agreement later this spring.

Kurt H. Hovling, 44, of 60 Lawrence Road, was taken into custody Wednesday after a tense standoff with police following allegations he threatened to kill a family member the prior evening.

Hovling is facing multiple charges as a result of the Jan. 30 incident, including felony counts of robbery, reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and criminal threatening, as well as several misdemeanors — resisting arrest/detention, two counts of simple assault and false imprisonment.

But Hovling also has pending charges stemming from a high-speed chase with officers from July 2017.

Police reports from last summer say Hovling led officers through a Hudson neighborhood around Belknap Road to Pelham and Bush Hill roads before turning onto Moose Hill Road, a cul-de-sac, and fleeing on foot after his vehicle came to a stop in a shallow basin.

“It was a very dangerous situation in both (cases),” said First Assistant Kent E. Smith with the Hillsborough County Attorney’s Office. “The allegations show that he is a danger to the community.”

Smith said typically in situations like this the prosecution will make an offer for a plea bargain that includes all pending cases.

If the county attorney’s office and defense team cannot agree to a deal, the separate incidents would result in two separate trials.

“We have to talk with the victim. This just happened a couple of nights ago and we need to get input from the victim and sit down and think about it,” Smith said.

An attorney representing Hovling declined to comment Friday morning, saying she has not spoken with her client.

Hovling remains in jail after violating his parole. He did not appear in person or via video conference in a Nashua courtroom on Friday.

His next scheduled hearing is March 2.

Officers with the Hudson Police Department responded around midnight to Lawrence Road after receiving a report from an elderly woman who said Hovling allegedly demanded money from her. When she said she did not have any money, she told police Hovling began throwing objects in the residence and one of those items hit her in the upper lip, causing it to split and bleed.

According to an affidavit filed with the court, Hovling threatened to set the victim’s hair on fire with a disposable lighter, locked her in a bedroom and made hostile comments about burning down the house and smashing her vehicle.

The victim was able to leave with friends, who arrived to provide Hovling with the money he demanded, and immediately called police upon arriving at a family member’s residence on Sullivan Road.

She told police Hovling has “a drug abuse problem and stated he would kill her if she were not to get the money for him,” wrote Hudson officer Tyler Merrill in an affidavit. Hovling, she told Merrill, was “in a ‘rage’ and could not be stopped.”

Police blocked off the area between Bockes and Robinson roads for several hours before they were able to take Hovling into custody. The Hudson Special Operations Unit and the Regional Special Operations Unit assisted on scene. There was no immediate threat to any residents in the area, according to Hudson police.

Hudson police say Hovling did not cooperate when he was booked, twisting away from officers at times before he was later restrained.

This is not the first time law enforcement has engaged Hovling.

Police observed Hovling operating a 2001 Toyota 4Runner on the afternoon of July 20, 2017. He was known to have an active warrant out of Merrimack at the time and Hudson police attempted to pull over his vehicle when Hovling sped off, traveling at roughly 100 mph.

Officers were able to apprehend him after he left his vehicle in the basin and attempted to flee on foot. He was charged with disobeying a police officer, resisting arrest and driving after suspension of his license.

According to court records, he was free on personal recognizance bail before the Jan. 30 incident.

Courts Crime Public Safety Hudson

More Headlines