All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Manchester stores evacuated when elevated carbon monoxide levels detected


January 31. 2016 10:39PM




MANCHESTER - Fire crews responded to two stores along South Willow Street Sunday afternoon to investigate an odor of gas.

Manchester fire officials reported employees at both Modell’s Sporting Goods and Pier 1 Imports called around 1:30 p.m. Sunday to report an odor of gas in their buildings.

Firefighters reported finding found above-average levels of carbon monoxide in the stores and evacuated them for an hour to ventilate the facilities.

While the incident remains under investigation, city firefighters believe a demolition crew working at the former Michael’s location nearby was using power equipment without the proper ventilation, which caused diesel and carbon monoxide fumes to enter the two stores.


Public Safety Shopping Manchester


More Headlines

Aggregation