NH plumber's death spurs recall of Blomberg, Summit ranges
May 19. 2017 8:36PM
WASHINGTON, D.C. — The electrocution death of a Portsmouth plumber has prompted the voluntary recall of about 6,300 Blomberg and Summit brand electric ranges, federal officials announced Friday.
The death took place last August and involved a 52-year-old professional plumber who came in contact with an energized range, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.
The recall involves models:
• Blomberg BERU 24200 SS.
• Blomberg BERU 24100 SS.
• Summit CLRE24 24-inch-wide freestanding glass top electric range.
They were sold by Portsmouth-based State Street Discount; Brooklyn, N.Y.-based AJ Madison; other stores and Amazon.com between October 2012 and March 2017. Prices ranged from $1,000 to $1,500.
Consumers should immediately stop using the ranges and avoid all direct contact until the electricity supply is shut off at the fuse box. Free onsite inspection and repair can be arranged at (877) 271-1489 or through www.blombergappliances.us.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said the electric ranges can become energized because a screw was not installed to secure the grounding strap during manufacturing.
For more information, including the serial number of the recalled ranges, visit www.cpsc.gov.