All Sections

Home | Courts

State police arrest one in Durham after Super Bowl

Union Leader Correspondent

February 05. 2018 9:11PM


DURHAM — A cold drizzle didn’t stop people from converging downtown after the Super Bowl Sunday night.

Town Administrator Todd Selig said after the New England Patriots lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, more than 1,000 people poured into the area in front of Young’s Restaurant on Main Street.

As the crowd gathered, people were chanting and swearing, Selig said.

Selig and Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley reported that one person was arrested.

Kelley explained that after police allowed students to express their emotions over the lost football game, they worked to move them off Main Street. Some of the people in the crowd began throwing cans and bottles, which hit several officers and New Hampshire State Troopers.

Kelley said a state trooper arrested UNH student Zachary Dresser, 20, of Seabrook, and charged him with disorderly conduct for throwing a bottle at police.

Dresser is scheduled to be arraigned at Dover Circuit Court March 20.

Police and University of New Hampshire officials will review video and photo evidence to try and determine who lit fireworks during the event, and who tried to climb downtown trees and lamp posts, Selig said.

There were no injuries reported. The incident lasted about 45 minutes.

Police, town and UNH officials worked last week to prevent a repeat of last year’s violence. Two vehicles sustained serious damage as about 3,000 people flocked into downtown Durham after the Patriots came back to win Super Bowl LI in overtime.

On Friday, UNH Police Chief Paul Dean and Senior Vice Provost for Student Life John Kirkpatrick issued a public safety awareness message saying choices have consequences.

“There will be police cameras in use for your safety. Be mindful of your choices. Be safe, take care of your campus and your town, and take care of each other,” the message said.

Electronic message boards with safety messages were on display Sunday.

Police from the Strafford County Sheriff’s Office joined state troopers, Durham police and UNH police to keep the peace Sunday night. Durham Fire Department, McGregor Ambulance and UNH administrative staff were also on hand.

Courts Crime General News Durham Seabrook

More Headlines

Sore loser: Shaheen blames the process