Home » Opinion » Editorials
Another fraud alert: Video and voter ID
In New Hampshire this past January, political stuntman James O’Keefe showed how important voter ID laws can be in deterring voter fraud. He did so again this week in Virginia.
In the New Hampshire presidential primary, staffers for O’Keefe’s Project Veritas showed up at polling places and asked if poll workers had certain names on their voter rolls. They did not claim to be those voters. Their videos showed poll workers handing them other people’s ballots and telling them that they did not need to prove their identity. This week’s video underscored the importance of voter ID laws in another way.
This video showed Patrick Moran, the field director for and son of U.S. Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., encouraging a person he thought was a liberal activist to commit voter fraud. (Moran resigned from his father’s campaign within hours of the video’s release.) The Project Veritas staffer had told Moran he wanted to cast votes in the names of 100 registered voters he thought would not show up on Election Day. Moran replied that such fraudulent voting would be difficult because of Virginia’s voter ID law. The best way to do it, he said, would be to forge documents such as utility bills, which can be used in lieu of a photo ID under Virginia’s new law.
The video shows that the mere existence of a voter ID law presents a huge obstacle to committing voter fraud. File it under: Facts liberal activists refuse to acknowledge.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 13
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 6
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 64
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record