All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Update: Man killed in Manchester shooting identified

New Hampshire Union Leader

October 27. 2012 1:04PM
Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles and investigators were on the scene of a suspicious death on Hevey Street in Manchester. (David Lane/Union Leader)

MANCHESTER - The Attorney General's Office has identified the man who was killed Friday afternoon as Philip Smith, 61, of 519 Hevey St.

Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles said in a release that an autopsy will be performed Monday and that the Attorney General and Manchester police are treating the case as a homicide.

A person of interest, Evan Smith, 29, was located Friday night, but Saturday's release does not say anything more about Smith, including whether he is related to Philip Smith.

The release also does not say if Evan Smith has been charged with a crime - as of Friday night, no arrests had been made and Rundles would not say whether Evan Smith was being held by police or had been released.


Full text of earlier article continues below.

Shooting in city leaves one dead

MANCHESTER - Police were investigating the homicide of a man estimated to be in his 60s found dead of an apparent gunshot wound in an apartment on the West Side on Friday.

Calling the shooting a 'targeted event,' Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles said late Friday night that there is no danger to the public.

'This victim was targeted by someone in particular,' Rundles said.

The deceased man's identity was not released Friday night, but Evan Smith, 29, was found by police about 4:30 p.m. Friday after being listed as 'armed and dangerous' and a 'person of interest' in the hours after the shooting.

Rundles said the victim's family had been notified of his death, but she wouldn't release his name, 'because we haven't cleared it yet with my office.'

Rundles said late Friday that Smith hadn't been charged with a crime. She wouldn't say if Smith was in police custody.

'We have not made an arrest,' she said. 'I can't comment on (Smith's) specific status or location.

'There are a number of avenues we are still pursuing,' she said. 'I can't be any more specific than that tonight.'

Rundles said authorities plan to release more information today.

In the hours after the shooting, the building was blocked off with yellow crime scene tape and neighbors stood nearby, some knowing there was a body inside but little else as the investigation continued into the shooting, which happened about 11:30 a.m.

Rundles would not release any other details regarding Smith, including how he was found and whether investigators had or planned to interview him. She also would not comment on whether Smith was related to the victim or say why investigators wanted to talk to him.

'We just make sure the bulletin was withdrawn,' Rundles said.

Neighbors heard officers pounding on the door of the second-floor apartment, which is near the Manchester Police Resource Center on Kelley Street.

'They came up to our apartment saying there had been a report of a gunshot on the second floor. They asked if we had heard anything but we hadn't,' said Shannon Leary, who lives on the third floor. 'They asked us to vacate the building because they didn't know what was going on.

'I was kind of scared. I was more flustered to just get my stuff and get out of the building just in case that was what happened and there was still somebody that was armed and still shooting at the apartment.'

Leary came back a few hours later, hoping to get into the building but finding it still cordoned off with police on the scene.

General News Manchester

More Headlines