All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Sports

UNH rallies to edge Huskies, 4-3

New Hampshire Union Leader

October 26. 2012 11:19PM

DURHAM - It wasn't the prettiest goal of his career, but it might be one of the most memorable for John Henrion.

The senior forward poked in a shot during a scramble in front of the net with 52 seconds remaining to give the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team a come-from-behind 4-3 win over Northeastern on Friday night before 5,502 fans at the Whittemore Center.

The play started as a 2-on-1 with Casey Thrush and Henrion. Jeff Silengo jumped into the action, as well, and amidst all the traffic it was Henrion who managed to put the puck in the back of the net for his third of the season.

'It was chaos in front of the net,' said Henrion, admitting it was a garbage goal. 'Casey and Jeff did a great job just battling. I guess I was Johnny on the spot for that one.'

It was the fourth win in a row to open the season for the No. 12 Wildcats (4-0) and the second loss for the No. 15 Huskies (2-2), who held a 3-1 lead just over midway through the first period.

'Kudos to them,' Northeastern coach Jim Madigan said about the UNH comeback. 'We were up 3-1 and they found a way to come back.'

Thrush made a nice play to win the puck at his own blue line and create the break with Henrion. After that it was just a little grinding and some hard work to find a spot in front of the net for the winner.

'I'm glad he got rewarded for the way he's been playing for us,' UNH coach Dick Umile said. 'He's been playing as good as anyone for us.'

It didn't look like the Wildcats had a shot at winning after the first 12 minutes of the game. The Huskies scored on three of their first six shots and were dominating the play, consistently muscling UNH players off the puck.

The Huskies got the scoring started just 33 seconds in on a 3-on-2 when Braden Pimm took a pass on the left side and one-timed it past UNH goalie Casey DeSmith to make it 1-0.

Trevor vanRiemsdyk picked up his third goal of the season on the Wildcats' first power play of the game.

The sophomore defenseman collected the puck at the left point and fired a low shot through traffic and through the five hole of Northeastern goalie Chris Rawlings to tie it up, 1-1, with 13:40 left in the first period.

The stalemate didn't last long. Just 20 seconds later, Joseph Manno gave the Huskies the lead back, and with 8:15 remaining in the first Ben Oskroba scored to make it a 3-1 game.

The Wildcats picked things up in the second period by playing more physical and scoring two goals to tie the game 3-3.

They made it 2-for-2 on the power play early in the period. Kevin Goumas was working the right boards with the puck and after a few attempts to set up Justin Agosta in the middle, he made a cross-ice pass to Austin Block.

Block fired a quick shot top shelf to beat Rawlings for his third of the season and make it 3-2 at 2:51 of the second period.

Things got tied up at 6:40 when Greg Burke paid the price to set up a goal by Goumas.

Burke held the puck along the left boards and took a wicked check from a Northeastern defender. He managed to move the puck along the boards, however, to Goumas behind the net. Goumas then cut to the front and backhanded a shot through Rawlings' five hole for his first goal to make it 3-3 with 13:20 left in the second.

After a rough start, DeSmith stopped the final 15 shots he faced and finished with 18 saves. Rawlings gave up three goals and made 11 saves and Bryan Mountain surrendered the game winner while stopping 18 shots.

Sports Hockey Durham