Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
NHL Winter Classic reportedly shelved
The annual hockey Winter Classic scheduled to be played Jan. 1 in Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., reportedly is off, but negotiations between the NHL and the Players' Association could resume soon.
ESPN cited an NHL source who said Friday that the league is canceling the Winter Classic game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs because of the extended player lockout that has wiped out the first two months of the season. A formal announcement was expected Friday in New York from the league.
If the NHL hadn't canceled by Nov. 2, it would have been required to play the university's expenses related to a cancellation after that date, according to ESPN.
Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Canadian Press that he expects to get back to the bargaining table in the "relatively near future." The two sides haven't met since Oct. 18.
No date, time or location for a meeting has been confirmed, Daly said.
Reports indicated earlier this week that Daly had talked at length with NHL Players' Association
special counsel Steve Fehr on the phone.
The NHL lockout, which began Sept. 16, has wiped out games through Nov. 30.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan