January 08. 2013 11:38PM

More questions than answers in discovery of dead wife, 29

New Hampshire Union Leader

A member of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit takes photographs Tuesday outside the Bedford condominium where the body of Sonia Quesada was found on Monday. Her husband, Dr. Eduardo Quesada, was unconscious inside the condo when police arrived. (David Lane/Union Leader)

BEDFORD - A Bedford doctor's wife, found dead Monday in a relative's home with her husband unconscious nearby, does not appear to be have been murdered, but it could take up to two months for tests to reveal how she died.

An autopsy done on the body of Sonia Quesada, 29, Tuesday could not determine cause and manner of the young mother's death. A final ruling is pending results of toxicology testing, the state's chief medical examiner Dr. Thomas A. Andrew said. It could take six to eight weeks to receive results.

"It does not appear to be a homicide now," Andrew said.

"It's safe to say that there was no violence done to her. It could be anything - natural and toxicological," Andrew said.

There are five possible manners of death: homicide, suicide, accidental, natural and undetermined.

Her husband, Dr. Eduardo W. Quesada, 52, remained hospitalized and was in stable condition Tuesday, Bedford Police Capt. Daniel Douidi said.

Quesada was found unconscious and his wife dead inside the 49 Kensington Lane condominium about 10:12 a.m. Monday after a relative asked police to check on the couple.

Police had to force open the door of the unit, located in the over-55 community off Meetinghouse Road known as the Mews. The couple had been staying at the home, which is owned by Dr. Quesada's mother, Norma Quesada, 81.

There was no sign of forced entry to the condominium Nor any sign of physical trauma to either spouse, Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia M. LaFrance said.

"There was a large amount of prescription medication in the room," she noted.

Quesada is an anesthesiologist specializing in pain management at Amokseag Anesthesia PLLC in Manchester who has privileges to practice at Elliot Health System.

Whether Quesada or his wife had proper prescriptions for the medications is part of the investigation, LaFrance said.

Elliot Health System would "cooperate fully" if contacted by authorities regarding the most recent events involving the Quesadas, vice-president of public affairs and marketing Susanna Whitcher, said.

Authorities insist Monday's incident has nothing to do with the Nov. 24 home invasion at the couple's 7 Proclamation Court home in which Dr. Quesada and his wife were attacked and injured.

Police said the couple returned home about 10 p.m. to find an assailant described as at least 6-feet tall wearing a black ski mask and clothing.

"We are treating it as two separate incidents," Douidi said. He had no further comment other than to say the investigation is ongoing. The attacker remains at large. Police have said they do not know if the Nov. 24 home invasion was random.

The couple's 2-year-old daughter was unharmed in the Nov. 24 attack. The girl, who has been staying with relatives, was not home during Monday's incident, police said.

State police investigators assigned to the Major Crime Unit collected evidence from the 49 Kensington Lane condominium Tuesday.

Police Chief John J. Bryfonski would not comment on the case, referring the public to the press release issued Monday.

Elliot Health System and Amoskeag Anesthesia said they "are all very saddened" to learn of the death of Sonia Quesada.

"Our thoughts and prayers have been with this family since November," they said in a statement Tuesday.

"We now hope Dr. Eduardo Quesada may recover from these tragic events and we can continue to keep the entire family in our thoughts."

Police went to the Kensington Lane condominium Monday after a relative of Dr. Quesada's said attempts to contact the couple were unsuccessful and they missed appointments that morning.

While police warned the community to be alert and take precautions to secure their property after the Nov. 24 home invasion, no such warnings followed Monday's incident.

"If we felt the public was in danger we would certainly put out some information like we did with the previous home invasion," LaFrance said.


View More questions than answers in discovery of dead wife, 29 in a larger map