Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama the liberal: The question is settled
Don't take our word for it. Here are what left-of-center commentators said after Obama spoke.
David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker, wrote: "Obama's speech was infinitely better, more self-assured, more politically precise than his first. This was Barack Obama without apology - a liberal emboldened by political victory and a desire to enter the history books with a progressive agenda."
The Washington Post editorialized, "President Obama inaugurated his second term Monday with something approaching a liberal manifesto: a clear statement of what he hopes to accomplish over the next four years."
Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley wrote that the debate over whether Obama is a liberal or moderate is over; he is clearly a liberal whose "vision of a properly run society is closer to the European model..."
None of this should be a surprise. Conservatives have pointed out for years that Obama was an activist liberal pretending to be a moderate. Monday's speech proves that. Now prepare for an aggressive four-year effort to remake America in Europe's image.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 4
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition