Home » News » Roads and Travel
Sarah Long Bridge reopened to traffic
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Sunday night that DOT crews completed the last safety tests on the bridge late Sunday afternoon, and that the bridge was reopened to vehicular and maritime traffic around 7 p.m.
Repair work on the Sarah Mildred Long bridge continued to progress Friday, but state transportation officials said it still remains unclear when the red-listed bridge will re-open to both vehicular and maritime traffic.
The bridge's center span became stuck one foot out of position on Wednesday, forcing its closure since then. Larger vessels were prohibited from traveling underneath it, and cars from driving over it.
With the new Memorial Bridge under construction, until the repairs to the Sarah Long Bridge were completed, the only bridge open to vehicular traffic between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, was the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth's Memorial Bridge named one of Top 10 bridges of 2013 - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike exact-change lanes to be removed by Friday - 0
- Oddities of winter parking rules - 0
- State highway plan called 'fiscally restrained' - 0
- Senate president tells highway department to 'live within its means' - 0
- Bridge that connects Nashua with Merrimack will be closed for 15 months - 0
- Route 12A reopened to alternating one-way traffic - 0
- Traffic on Rockingham Road in Derry returning to normal - 0
- Wider I-293 may have to wait without more toll revenue - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 5
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child