Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Driver facing threat charges says vehicle wrongly searched
Michael Bontaintes, 20, of Derry is facing two counts of criminal threatening for allegedly accosting the female driver and a male passenger in her car after the crash last June 12. Defense lawyers want a judge to throw out drug evidence collected from Bontaintes' truck during the investigation of the crash, saying police needed a search warrant before going through the vehicle.
Derry police responded to the crash at about 10:30 p.m. But when they arrived at the traffic circle, Bontaintes wasn't there, according to court documents.
An officer found Bontaintes and his truck at a Fairway Drive residence and took him into custody a short time later, according to public defender Emily Sieber.
Sieber said in court papers that the officer then searched the truck - following a department policy to take an inventory of the vehicle - but never obtained a search warrant. Police found a knife, a digital scale, aluminum foil with burnt residue and two orange pills later identified as burenophine, according to court records. Bontaintes is arguing that seizing evidence from his truck without a search warrant violated his constitutional rights.
Prosecutors have objected to Bontaintes argument. A judge has scheduled a hearing on the matter for Feb. 21.
In additional to the criminal threatening charges, Bontaintes was also indicted for possession of a controlled drug, conduct after an accident and driving after revocation.
The criminal threatening charges are class B felonies, punishable by up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison. Bontaintes is scheduled for trial the week of March 11.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
- Two in Keene robbed at home - 0
- Mass. man accused in sex assault of teen in Nashua - 0
- Police seek 4 teens for Manchester robbery - 1
- Manchester man charged in forklift theft - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 0
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 1
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424