Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Armed standoff in Claremont ends peacefully
CLAREMONT – An armed standoff with a man whose father was shot in a police confrontation nearly 5 years go ended peacefully Friday afternoon.
Anthony Jarvis, 43, of 10 Provence Avenue is currently being held on a parole detainer at the Sullivan County House of Corrections in in Unity.
Police responded to Jarvis's home at 11:59 a.m. on Friday to assist the New Hampshire Department of Corrections Probation and Parole Department with a Parole Search, Claremont Police Chief Alexander Scott said in a press release Friday evening.
During the search, Jarvis fled into the home and locked the door behind himself.
Inside he made threatening statements about “doing violence to himself with a firearm,” Scott wrote. “Based on those statements, officers retreated, established a protective perimeter around the house and called for additional officers to respond to the scene.”
State police, the Sullivan County's Sheriff's Department and additional city police responded to assist.
Neighboring homes were evacuated for safety and a command post was established.
Additionally the State Police Special Weapons and Tactics Team was placed on standby.
Officers on scene were able to make cell phone contact with Jarvis through a family member.
Around 3 p.m. Jarvis agreed to come out of the house peacefully and did so following specific instruction from police.
He was taken into custody without incident.
Jarvis is the son of Anthony Jarvis Sr. who was fatally shot in a confrontation with police in Charlestown in July of 2008 after a state trooper had been injured in a shooting, Scott wrote.
According to the New Hampshire Department of Justice website the state trooper who shot Jarvis fatally shot him after Jarvis shot him in the upper right thigh and then when he was on the floor attempting to find cover Jarvis shot at him again hitting him in the finger and right leg.
In August 2008 the Attorney General's office said it was a justifiable use of deadly force.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
- Sexual assault charge in Keene - 0
- Keene man charged with threatening Nelson teen with gun - 0
- More details released about Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
- Portsmouth man charged with two felony drug counts - 0
- Affidavits show woman was shot as feds conducted downtown Manchester drug raid - 0
- Newton man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault of 15-year-old Mass. girl - 1
- Two felony charges for alleged Portsmouth drug dealer - 0
- Nashua man arrested in violent purse snatching - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917