North span of Portsmouth bridge to arrive overnight
The float-in of the second span of the bridge is scheduled to take place around 1 Wednesday morning when it will leave the state pier aboard the barge Cape Cod.
Once the barge is in position between piers three and four on the Kittery, Maine, side of the river, the crew will adjust the span's elevation using the temporary jacking system to lower the span onto the bearings on the top of each pier.
During the Wednesday afternoon low slack tide, the barge will be moved out from under the new span and return to the Port Authority Pier where assembly of the center span will begin.
The center span is scheduled to be floated in sometime in June.The new bridge is scheduled to be open to traffic this summer, and plans for the grand opening are already under way.
Former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley was just 5 years old when she cut the ribbon to open the brand new Memorial Bridge on Aug. 17, 1923, and she is the first person to be invited to participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new bridge when it is completed. Foley celebrated her 95th birthday on Feb. 27.
Updated information on the bridge-construction project may be found at www.memorialbridgeproject.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Slandering police: Racism in reverse - 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Win tickets to see Linkin Park