Home » Opinion » Editorials
Town meeting? What town meeting?
Perhaps we exaggerate just a little bit. (It's probably a bronze statue of David Hasselhoff.) But really, if you have no idea what is on the agenda for town meeting, you could be in for a rude awakening later.
Town meetings might seem like nuisances, but they are important. They give you the chance to vote on serious local issues, such as a town hall renovation (Pelham), a new middle school (Windham), road and bridge reconstruction (Salem), town labor contracts (Hudson), a new highway garage (Hopkinton) or a giant statue of David Hasselhoff (just checking your attention span).
The good news for you, dear uninformed voter, is that most towns will meet next Tuesday or Wednesday, so you have the weekend to learn what issues are on the ballot and how you want to vote on them. Our advice: no matter how appealing it sounds, go with "no" on the Hasselhoff statue. (A cardboard cutout for the lobby of town hall is much cheaper.)
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
- City health costs: Wellness coordinator is no fix - 1
- R.I.P., Tom Brennan: A good manager and better man - 2
- The distractions: Turning you from Obamacare - 28
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Status: Havenstein talks tax stance to make position clear - 0
- Record Store Day becomes a boon for independents - 0
- Nashua panel backs study of state's largest playground - 0
- Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget' - 0
- Students say they want to change the face of Belmont mascot - 0
- Honor Flights vets visit National World War II Memorial - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
- Salem church's Guatemala mission brings blessings - 0
- St. Margaret’s to remember veterans - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
I-93 crash under investigation
Body of missing NH man found in Vermont
Stocks surge on Yellen comments
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior