Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayotte's dinner: Talking with Obama is wrong?
Among the dozen Republican senators who joined the President for dinner and conversation at Washington's Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night was New Hampshire's Kelly Ayotte. Friendly with Sen. John McCain, Ayotte drew criticism from some libertarian and conservative activists for joining the President (and McCain and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., two famously moderate Republicans). Somehow, Ayotte would have accomplished more had she snubbed the President and joined Sen. Rand Paul's filibuster of CIA director nominee John Brennan, the outraged activists suggested. Nonsense.
Just days before, Ayotte was on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanoplous" saying that she was open to a grand bargain on debt reduction. She would consider revenue increases, she said, but only if they included tax rate reductions, came with serious entitlement reforms, and the new revenue was dedicated exclusively to reducing the federal debt.
To suggest that there is no value in conveying that message to the President in person, in a casual setting in which a working relationship might develop, is to misunderstand the way politics works.
Last August, Sen. Tom Coburn (who attended last Wednesday's dinner) came to the defense of the Tea Party during an interview on MSNBC. Among his points was that Tea Party activists "understand that you've got to have human relations to get along in this world." It is amazing and disappointing that so many activists on both sides think that progress is made by refusing to work with anyone in the other camp.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m