Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday
Shamrock ShuffleWhen: Sunday, 11:15 a.m.
Start/Finish: Elm Street at Veteran’s Park, Manchester
Other events: Kids Leprechaun Runs, 10:45 a.m.; St. Patrick’s Parade, noon
Other participants are thrilled to simply reach the giant clover painted on Elm Street and cross the finish line. Last year's Shamrock Shuffle drew more than 2,500 runners and walkers, including women's champion Kara Haas of Chelmsford, Mass., clocked at 10 minutes, 55.76 seconds. Sanca, of Dracut, Mass., represented Cape Verde at London last summer. In March, he crushed the Shamrock field by running a 9:05.77.
Another sold-out Shamrock Shuffle, headquartered at Veteran's Park, is set for Sunday. The Kids Leprechaun Run begins at 10:45 a.m., followed by the Shuffle at 11:15 a.m. Proceeds will benefit New Horizons for New Hampshire. The St. Patrick's Day Parade begins at noon.
For those preparing for the Boston Marathon, there's a much longer race on the Seacoast on Sunday. The 18th Annual Eastern States 20-Mile Race, formerly known as the Border to Border, takes runners through six towns and two states. The 20-miler begins at Portmouth High School at 11 a.m. and finishes across the Massachusetts border in Salibury. Casey Moulton, a Pelham High graduate, won last year's event at 1:45:40. Twin brother Patrick finished third.
The 14th annual Run for the Border Half Marathon, which begins at Wallis Sands Beach in Rye, also begins at 11 a.m. on Sunday. Casey Carroll of Dover is the defending champion in the Run for the Border Half Marathon. Carroll ran a blistering 5:51 pace and finished at 1:16:34 last year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hundreds turn out for annual Newfound Turkey Trot - 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child