Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama, bank president: Home loans by decree
Here is how The Washington Post summarized the Obama administration's new plan: "Housing officials are urging the Justice Department to provide assurances to banks, which have become increasingly cautious, that they will not face legal or financial recriminations if they make loans to riskier borrowers who meet government standards but later default.
"Officials are also encouraging lenders to use more subjective judgment in determining whether to offer a loan..."
The faith this President places in his ability to manipulate the economy just so is breathtaking. Surely there are many Americans with credit scores below 700 who are financially trustworthy. Why are banks not lending to them? Because after the crash the administration got tough with banks, holding them accountable for foreclosures, and demanding tougher lending standards. Now, banks scared off by the heavy hand of Obama and the then-Democratic Congress are told to relax, lend more, and they won't be held responsible for the consequences - which will be insured by the federal government.
Perhaps that will work out just fine. If not, though, whom do you think Obama and Congress are going to blame? Bankers know. They also know that no matter what course they choose, they are at Obama's mercy. Don't lend, and get attacked for being greedy and uncaring. Lend to riskier borrowers, and get blamed if anything goes wrong. This is what it is like to do business under this President. Is it any wonder that the economy continues to struggle?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 0
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 0
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
- Sam Cohen: ‘No compromise’ gun groups shoot themselves in the foot - 7
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 17
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 20
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'