Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire destroys storage barn, burns half-acre in Milton
Milton Fire Chief Nicholas Marique said the department received the first report of the fire at about 10:10 a.m.
The second alarm was ordered with the fire department on its way to the scene.
"We were en route when we heard it was fully involved," Marique said. "We recognized the address and had a pretty good idea of what the house was, so we wanted to have a lot of people coming."
Firefighters first priority was to protect the house on the property, which was connected to another barn. The house and attached second barn were not damaged.
The storage barn was built in the 1980s. The structure was a total loss, as were the four snowmobiles, some four-wheel vehicles and small engine equipment stored in the barn.
In addition to consuming the barn, the fire spread to nearby brush, charring about a half-acre of countryside.
"It spread probably 100 to 150 yards down the length of a stone wall and then up and over and up a hill," Marique said.
A nearby pond provided enough water to put the fire out.
The cause has been ruled accidental, but Marique said that because the structure was a total loss, it would be difficult to pinpoint the precise cause of the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax