Home » News » Public Safety
Pittsfield pizza dough company already rebuilding after fire
A firefighter continues cleanup work at the scene of a four-alarm fire in Pittsfield on Thursday night. The fire destroyed a pizza dough company that has clients across the country. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
At the building on Barnstead Road, nearly 100 employees cover three shifts making pizza dough and American Flatbread pizzas ,which are sold by both grocery chains and mom-and-pop outfits throughout the country, said plant manager Brian Schneider.
It wasn't long before firefighters ran out of water from the hydrants and had to begin shuttling in water from a nearby river.
As firefighters worked through the night to contain the blaze and keep it from attacking the auto repair shop next door, their second-biggest challenge was the sub-zero temperatures.
One firefighter injured his arm when he slipped on the ice, but wasn't seriously hurt.
By morning, an excavator was brought in to shift the rubble from the building so firefighters could get at the flames under the wreckage.
Next door at Any Make Auto, LLC, owner Daryl Klitz said he wasn't thrilled that he couldn't open his shop on Friday, but he said he was grateful to firefighters for saving his building.
"Our focus is to get the company back up and running," he said. "But the most important thing is that nobody got hurt."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'