Home » News » Public Safety
Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 8:45 a.m. after receiving a report of a "hazardous materials incident" at Tradebe Treatment and Recycling Northeast LLC, located at 410 Shattuck Way, Monday.
"A male employee was complaining of burns to his lap area from an unknown substance that had spilled on him," according to a release by firefighters.
Firefighters, who arrived at the scene within three minutes, immediately placed the man into a decontamination shower to remove or reduce the exposure to the substance, which was identified with the assistance from the ChemTrec network as thionyl chloride.
"The spill occurred outside and was contained to the immediate area," according to firefighters.
Assistant Fire Chief Jeffrey LeDuc said a "residual amount" of the toxic chemical spilled on to the man while employees were crushing an empty 55-gallon drum.
LeDuc said the nearby building was evacuated, but he was not sure how many employees were inside it at the time of the spill.
Firefighters said they treated six other employees who were "complaining of throat and breathing irritation." As a result, ambulance crews from Dover and Portsmouth were called to assist at the scene, according to firefighters.
As a result, six people were sent to Portsmouth Hospital for non-life threatening injuries while one person refused transport, according to LeDuc.
Leduc, who stressed there was no danger to the public, said firefighters were contacted by members of the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational, Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
The incident is also under investigation by representatives from Tradebe. The company, which disposes of chemicals, cleaned up the spill.
Thionyl chloride is a non-combustible, colorless to yellow to reddish liquid which has a pungent odor similar to sulfur dioxide. It reacts violently with water to form sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride, according to the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
Upon contact, thionyl chloride can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes; could burn eyes or skin and cause respiratory issues, according to www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0611.html.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride