Home » News » Public Safety
Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation
Area police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 1:30 p.m. to the apartment complex at 93 Henry Law Ave. to escort a man in his 40s to a court-ordered psychological evaluation at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital.
While his identity was not released, Breault stressed that the man, who is well-known to the department, was not charged with a crime and does not have a criminal history in the city. Nonetheless, Breault said police decided to be cautious, especially since the man possessed firearms.
Members of the Strafford County Regional Tactical Team responded to help local police as a department negotiator called the man on the phone, Breault said.
“He was able to negotiate a peaceful surrender,” Breault said, adding it took about 30 minutes overall.
Breault said the man was taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, where he will be under guard as he undergoes the evaluation.
As a precaution, Breault said police secured the firearms, which will be held until the results of the evaluation are completed.
“He will have to petition the court to get them back,” Breault said, who added that police can make their case if they feel the man remains a danger.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads