Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
SB2 wins again in Deerfield, but operating budget fails
DEERFIELD – For the second time in nine years, Deerfield residents chose Senate Bill 2 over town meeting.
Article 10 on the town warrant and Article 5 on the school district warrant, which were supported by selectmen and school board members, each failed by an overwhelming majority, 880-277 and 832-310, respectively.
Despite recommendations from both selectmen and budget committee, the proposed municipal operating budget of $3,644,504 was voted down, 644-518, in favor of the default budget of $3,583,122. The estimated tax impact is $6.56 per $1,000 assessed valuation, 11 cents less than the failed budget.
The school district budget of $12,052,064, however, carried by a 673-498 vote.
Among contested races, R. Andew Robertson, with 556 votes, held his seat on the board of selectmen. He is joined by Jeffrey Shute, who defeated James Spillane and William Perron with tallies of 585, 472 and 345, respectively.
William A. Perron defeated David G. Doran, 561-366, for a three-year seat on the planning board, and Carol A. Levesque earned a 558-293 win over Alden Dill for a two-year seat on the budget committee.
Karen Cote (511), Frederick McGarry (658) and Brendan O'Donnell (576) took three-year spots on the budget committee. William Von Hassel, with 433 votes, finished last.
The town also supported a highway plow truck , but rejected allocations for a highway loader and fire command vehicle.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua South edges Manchester Memorial in girls soccer action - 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 8
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 9
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 5
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 2
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test