Londonderry students rewarded with indoor 'snowball' fight
Clutching their homemade yarn “snowballs,” a group of Matthew Thornton Elementary School second-graders readied for an attack, dodgeball style, on their rival third-graders. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
So naturally when the staff at Matthew Thornton Elementary School began thinking up ways to reward some of their best-behaved students, they kept the snowy season in mind.
"We got creative," said reading specialist Karen Kearney, who used her crafts knowledge to teach children in each grade how to build indoor "snowballs," or pompoms, out of white yarn.
Instead, a classroom from each grade was chosen to take part in the "snowball" fight in the school cafeteria Friday afternoon, minus the hats, mittens and bone-chilling weather.
"Except nobody ever strikes out," he noted.
Much to their delight, the kids got to keep their non-melting "snowballs" when the indoor battle concluded, on the condition that they'd refrain from throwing them during the bus ride home.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem - 9
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 19
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 60
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 8
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem