Building safety concerns force Londonderry Lions Club to cancel fundraiser
The main function room inside the hall, located at 265 Mammoth Road, was temporarily shuttered last week after a preliminary inspection before the club’s scheduled Comedy Night fundraiser Saturday revealed several large dips in the hall’s floors, hinting at overall structural weaknesses.
Canuel said he visited the facility on Monday with a group of engineers who were further analyzing the conditions at Lions Hall.
As club members await word on what repairs will be necessary, other areas of the building, including the front lobby, kitchen and smaller meeting rooms upstairs, have all been deemed safe for them to conduct their business in.
The building, which is believed to be the town’s oldest public facility, once stood at the corner of Pillsbury and Hardy roads and dates to the late 1700s, when it was a religious meeting house. The building was moved to its current location in 1837, where it was enlarged to host various social functions. It was later used to house the Londonderry town offices in the late 1950s. The Lions Club began using the space in 1972.
“There will definitely be a Comedy Night at some point in time,” Smith said on Tuesday. “That’s our intention.”
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 56
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 6
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it