Home » News » Politics » State Government
House raises adult criminal age to 18 years old
The vote was 256-40 and came despite impassioned pleas by several Republicans that the present system should not be changed. The House originally passed the bill, 324-17, in early January and sent it to its Finance Committee. The panel found that the bill, if passed, would result in significant savings to the state and county corrections systems. The finance panel recommended that the bill ought to pass on a 25-0 vote.
Rep. William O’Brien, R-Mont Vernon, argued for keeping the age of majority at 17, where it has been since 1996.
“What this bill says to these monsters is that if you are under 18, you will get out when you are 21.”
O’Brien said such policy decisions should be made by lawmakers, not prosecutors.
Rep. Mary Beth Walz, D-Bow, said O’Brien’s concerns are “a straw man.
Rep. Robert Rowe, R-Amherst, opposed the bill, saying, “Leave the system alone.
“What we’re doing is an effort to save money rather than individuals.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
- I-293 lane closures expected for next 2 weeks in Manchester - 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee