Home » News » Public Safety
Goats, chickens perish in four-alarm Gilmanton blaze
Susan Lunt, at right in grey hooded sweatshirt, walks away from her fire-damaged home and the remains of her barn at 1765 Route 140 in Gilmanton Iron Works Sunday. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
As for the loss of her home, "there's just not a lot to say about it," she said, looking downward as she spoke.
"A passer-by saw it, and the person ran up to the door and told the homeowners their barn was on fire," he said.
"I called for a fourth alarm because of the heavy winds, the need for water and the need for manpower," he said.
"There was a very heavy volume of flames," he said. "The home is uninhabitable, and the barn burned to the ground."
Gilmanton firefighters were joined by firefighting and rescue crews from Alton, Barnstead, Belmont, Center Harbor, Chichester, Epsom, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Northwood, New Durham, Pittsfield, Tilton and Wolfeboro.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist