Home » News » Public Safety
Londonderry police not amused by April Fool's Day joke
LONDONDERRY — Police aren’t laughing at an April Fool’s Day prank they say a Londonderry woman played on her elderly father.
Shortly after 1 p.m. on April 1, police received a phone call from a distraught local man who told them his daughter had just called him from inside the Garden Lane Market Basket store and told him that “a man with a gun had just come in.”
“He was in an absolute panic,” Detective Christopher Olson said Thursday. “He was so shaken up he could hardly speak.”
Dispatchers immediately sent an entire shift of police officers to the store, but upon their arrival it became clear that something was amiss.
“The managers told us they had no idea what we were talking about,” Olson said.
Management later told police that no “suspicious men” had entered the store, to their knowledge.
In the meantime, the caller, who police did not identify, contacted police to tell them his daughter “had played an April Fool’s Day joke on him.”
“We’re not even sure if she went to Market Basket that day,” Olson said.
Attempts to contact the daughter, whom Olson described as a Londonderry resident in her early 40s, have so far been unsuccessful, but police are taking this April Fool’s Day prank very seriously.
However, police aren’t releasing the alleged prankster’s name until they hear her side of the story.
“We definitely want to talk to this woman,” he said. “She may be facing some charges once we determine what actually happened here.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem