Home » News » Public Safety
Police investigate death of man in Belmont
BELMONT – Police are investigating the death of a local man who died late Friday night at Lakes Region General Hospital, though it could be weeks before they know if any foul play was involved.
Camren J. Ess, 23, of 7 Northbrook Road, died Friday night, according to Lt. Richard Mann, after he was found on the floor of his home by emergency rescue crews at approximately 4:45 a.m. Friday.
When they arrived, responders found someone at the home performing CPR on Ess. The first responders took over CPR and Ess was taken to the Laconia hospital.
Police “maintained presence” at the home for several hours Friday while detectives conducted interviews and gathered information necessary in an effort to determine if any criminal activity was involved, Mann said.
An investigation is routine in such cases, he said.
“After the medical teams removed him for treatment, we made the decision to seek a search warrant,” Mann said.
Warrants were obtained and a search took place at the home Friday evening, he said.
“It’s different when you find a 23-year-old who needs CPR versus an elderly person on hospice; this is unusual,” he said.
Mann said he could not comment on whether the death was drug related, though the town has had an increase in drug-related deaths among young people in the past several months.
There will be no autopsy, he said. “The state medical examiner has been given the details from the hospital about (Ess) and they will make an evaluation of his death based on that,” Mann said.
The investigation could take 8 to 12 weeks, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 7
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 6
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride