Home » News » Public Safety
Authorities test fox for rabies after it bit 5-year-old girl
This fox was euthanized after it bit a 5-year-old girl on the ankle at a local playground. It is being tested for rabies by New Hampshire Fish and Game, according to Derry police. (Courtesy)
The girl was bitten by the fox at Don Ball Park on Humphrey Road. She sustained minor injuries in the attack and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, Derry police Capt. Vern Thomas said Friday. Police were not releasing her name.
The incident was the second one in two days as police also received a report of an aggressive fox on Wednesday night on Schurman Drive, Thomas said. No injuries were reported in that incident in which a fox chased a 9-year-old boy as he was playing in his backyard at 9 Schurman Drive. At one point the fox knocked the boy to the ground, Thomas said. The boy's mother, who saw the incident, swung a shovel at the fox, causing it to run off and not return, according to police.
As he watched his 4-year-old daughter play at Don Ball Park on Friday afternoon, Rich Ring said he had brought her to the park Thursday night but saw that it was closed and left. After hearing the fox had been captured and euthanized, Ring said the incident was over and the park was safe again for his daughter and other children. So, he decided to bring his daughter back on Friday.
"It's happening no matter where you go," Ring said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 5
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 4
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen