Home » News » Public Safety
Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving
Students at Merrimack High School participate in a mock car crash to warn fellow classmates about the dangers of drinking and driving. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON/Union Leader Correspondent)
Although the scene involved student actors, the raw and emotional message was real for the senior class that watched in horror as four classmates played out a life lesson that administrators hope will stay with all the students forever.
"I never want to have my mom go through that," said Courtney Hayden. "It gives you the chills. Really, it does, because you don't think something like that can't happen to you."
Zampieri, whose daughter is learning how to drive, said he fears people on the highways who may be distracted or intoxicated.
He said it is important to encourage young people to think about their actions, remind them that they are not invincible and hope that they make the right choices when it matters.
Following the mock crash, students were ushered into the gymnasium where a ersatz memorial service was held for Freed. A eulogy was given and students watched a video highlighting Freed's short life.
In a split second, someone's life can be lost, said Dudash, urging the Class of 2014 to think twice about drinking and driving so that their parents won't get a knock on the door from police with the worst news.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident wasn't wearing helmet - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 2
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate