Home » News » Politics » State Government
House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks
Senate Bill 244 would establish an annulment procedure that would allow those prohibited from owning firearms due to mental illness to be removed from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System — the list licensed gun dealers use for background checks.
"This bill is a mess," said committee member Rep. Paul Berch, D-Westmoreland. "This may be a lawyer's dream, but it's a citizen's nightmare."
However, New Hampshire is one of 17 states that do not report those found mentally ill by courts to the federal background check list.
The Senate refused to go along with the reporting requirements or establishing a committee to study the issue of adding the mentally ill to the federal prohibition list.
The main motivation for the bill is for people on the federal gun prohibition list to get off the list so they can obtain a firearm said Rep. Robert Rowe, R-Amherst. "This bill does not do the job," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua electorate to decide if inflation change is worth it - 0
- Derry's tax rate drops as property valuations increase - 0
- Derry's property tax rate drops - 0
- Officials say old Hudson library hemorrhaging money - 0
- AG sued over documents in former Rockingham County attorney case - 5
- Town tax rate about to get lower - 0
- Derry Councilors vote to change starting time of meetings: earlier time will be tried for a month - 0
- Police want to know what Goffstown stakeholders think - 0
- Few attend Derry’s meet and greet for new administrator - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 0
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
- Two accused of trafficking women in Hampton, Hooksett and Manchester - 0
- 'Fugitive of Week' captured in Hooksett - 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four