Nashua OKs payment to developer Stabile for river work
Although the aldermanic Budget Review Committee ultimately approved reimbursing the $100,000 Wednesday, two aldermen voiced opposition. Ward 9's Ken Siegel argued that the entire dam project should be completed before city officials discuss the merits of whether to pay the requested $100,000 for abutment work. Noting that significant tax credits have already been issued for the Cotton Mill Square project, Siegel said the true cost of the abutment work is not actually known.
Mayor Donnalee Lozeau said the city owns the dam, and the unexpected abutment problems discovered during the Stabile project could not be ignored. Lozeau said city officials agreed in good faith to use escrow funds to pay for only the abutment fix, not any of the other dam work.
Alderman David Schoneman, Ward 3, said he considers the abutment work part of the overall dam project, which the city was not obligated to pay.
"I don't see how I can support it," Schoneman said of the $100,000 reimbursement.
Others argued that the city is ultimately responsible for the improvement costs incurred by Stabile during the dam renovations.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past - 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 9
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 18
- Drew Cline: Dan Innis is no political lightweight - 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
- Drew Cline: Eric Cantor, 'Game of Thrones,' and the selling of NH politics - 15
- Drew Cline: In the State House, a weakening check on NH government - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name