Baptist church moving to downtown Queen City landmark
Gospel Baptist Church has purchased the former Franco American Centre property at 52 Concord St., Manchester. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
"We're tapped out of space," said Carlson, whose church at Beech and Merrimack streets counts 165 members. The church occupies the entire wood-framed, two-story building, which resembles the adjacent tenement buildings.
Although the new location will be a few blocks away, the move takes the independent Baptist church out of the center city. Carlson, a native of the Michigan upper peninsula, said he and his wife started the church in a small, 850-square foot building at Hall and Spruce streets in 1992.
It produces a television show, and members knock on doors of strangers to increase the flock.
Carlson said his church put about $50,000 into a building fund in each of the last few years, and when the ACA deal was possible, church leaders launched a six-week fundraising effort that raised $51,000.
Carlson said his church is patriotic; an American flag flies out front, and he's also flown a Marine flag to honor a member who joined the Marines. The church eschews the drums, electric guitars and rock-concert atmosphere of megachurches.
The new location has been a clubhouse, a church, and office building, a Franco-American heritage center and, most recently, a student center for the New Hampshire Institute of Art. Carlson said he has no plans to remove the names and emblems associated with the ACA.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- 10 legislators to watch in this coming session - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 20
- House Rules Committee rejects majority leader vote, OKs letting lawmakers carry guns - 0
- Majority leader sees GOP rift healing after Jan. 7 - 11
- Official House GOP caucus begins setting goals - 0
- Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice - 30
- Jasper censure cites 'breach of trust' - 0
- Starting Jan. 1, NH elderly and disabled have more protection - 0
- GOP committee: Censure Speaker for Dems' help in winning post - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads