Founding KISS guitarist Ace Frehley draws on artist Ken Kelly
NEW YORK — Founding KISS guitarist and 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Ace Frehley has tapped long-time friend and artist Ken Kelly to create the album cover for his upcoming disc “Space Invader,” which is due out July 8.
Kelly created the iconic cover art for two of KISS’s best selling albums — “Destroyer” (1976) and “Love Gun” (1977).” Kelly also is known for his paintings in the sword and sorcery and heroic fantasy sub genres, most notably for the “Conan the Barbarian” novels.
”I’ve been talking with (Kelly) since 2007 about painting a CD cover for me, and it has finally happened,” Frehley said. “I couldn’t be more excited about the new ‘Space Invader’ cover, and the music behind it is also going to rock your world.”
“Space Invader,” Frehley’s first new solo album in five years, will be released via Entertainment One Music (eOne Music).
The project will include at least nine new original songs as well as a cover of Steve Miller’s “The Joker.”
Frehley is widely known as the original “Space Ace” and founding guitarist for 16 cumulative years (over two tenures) of the multi-platinum selling rock band KISS.
Frehley’s self titled album, released in 1978, went on to sell more than 1 million copies, producing the only Top 40 single, “New York Groove,” from any of the legendary KISS solo albums. The hit most recently was featured in an episode of “Entourage.”
Since departing from KISS, Frehley went on to release four more solo albums and one live EP, including his most recent effort, “Anomaly” in 2009, which debuted at #27 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
Frehely is scheduled to accept an award at the 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday, May 31.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.