Merrimack neighbors unite against plan to erect AT&T cell tower
New Cingular Wireless, or AT&T, has presented plans to the town’s Community Development Department to build a 150-foot high telecommunication tower at 121 Joppa Road.
“However, it does have to be camouflaged,” said Thompson, adding the proposed tower is designed to look like a tall pine tree.
About 100 petitioners opposed to the project do not agree, and are asking the zoning board to reject the special exception for the tower, along with any future requests for cell towers in residential areas.
“But I understand where AT&T is coming from. They are trying to clear a coverage gap,” said Thompson. “There are some (coverage) gaps west of the turnpike.”
According to Wynn, the proposed tower would have a negative impact on property values and be an eyesore to the neighborhood. In addition, he contends that other towers already exist in the area that could be utilized, generator noise from the site could be disruptive and on-site fuel storage may be a hazard. Wynn also maintains that there is already adequate signal strength in the area.
“This is an enormous tower, and it will be right up from our window,” said Kibbe, who worries the market price and property value of her home will decrease once the structure is built.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 0
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 48
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
- Interim president encouraging student growth at WMCC - 0
- Pinkerton superintendent tours school in hors- drawn carriage - 1
- Granite State Arts Academy in Derry ready to open its doors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate