Manchester emergency workers run drill with mock chopper crash
City emergency workers brace for reality at mock chopper crash
Lisa Smith-Brunelle, a CMC nurse, plays an injured person during Catholic Medical Center's emergency disaster drill Saturday in Manchester. Thomas Roy/Union Leader
Manchester firefighters and EMTs take a "victim" from Truck 1 during Catholic Medical Center's emergency disaster drill Saturday in Manchester. Thomas Roy/Union Leader
"It was all hands on deck," said Lu Mulla, CMC vice president of operations/emergency services.
Firefighters carried dummies down the Manchester Fire Department truck ladders, which were long enough to reach the rooftop landing pad. CMC officials said it is the only elevated landing area in the state and makes the Manchester hospital a primary receiving center for critical care.
Initially, the idea was to see if the ladders were high enough to reach if anybody was stranded. The ladders reached, but the drill had grown a lot more complex during a planning process.
One surprise that caught even Mulla off-guard was the helicopter pilot putting on a performance during his approach, weaving through the air like he really was about to crash, before safely touching down in a routine landing. The hospital did not shut down during the drill, so the three "code blue" cases that came in Saturday morning really were cardiac distress that needed immediate attention.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads