Gate City Charter School finds itself outside the Gate City
The school will open on the entire first floor of a multi-tenant building, which is now being renovated by owners Adamain Construction and Development to bring the space up to the code requirements for an elementary school.
While board members were disappointed the new Gate City Charter School will not be located in Gate City, Cevasco said the new site is about a mile from the Nashua border.
Cevasco said school staff will work on arranging car pools for families, and before and after-school programs will be launched to help working parents who will be driving their children to and from school.
The change in locations was an unexpected hurdle for the school that quickly filled its slots for enrollment through a lottery last spring, but also has a long waiting list.
“We were expecting a lot of right-out-of-college teachers,” she said adding that charter school teachers earn significantly less than teachers in public schools.
Cevasco is happy to now be looking ahead to September, and grateful for the support the school has received from the community and especially from Nashua School Superintendent Mark Conrad.
“He told me that important things are never easy,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Arpy' Saunders, architect of Claremont lawsuit, dead at 72 - 2
- Nashua committee votes to OK policy that allows alcohol at school - 3
- Students honored for winning essays - 0
- Parents want answers on Ellis principal - 0
- Manchester charter school requests barriers between playground, street - 5
- Discovery of shotgun shell in locker room puts Stratham school into lockdown - 0
- Eighth-graders test underwater remote operated vehicles they built - 0
- McDonough School's 'Kids Closet' seeks to supply students with shoes, coats - 0
- Driver ed goes private, smaller in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice