Report says average wait time at NH VA facilities is more than three weeks
“A 14-day wait-time performance target for new appointments was not only inconsistently deployed throughout the health care system, but was not attainable given growing demand for services and lack of planning for resource requirements,” according to audit findings.
• The Manchester VA had the aforementioned average wait of nearly 23 days for a first-time mental health appointment, while waits extended out to an average of 39 days for a specialty clinic, or 20 days for a primary care appointment.
She said the average wait times for mental health appointments don’t take into account a program, developed in White River, that embeds mental health providers in the VA walk-in, primary-care clinic. So a veteran going through a mental health crisis can get access immediately, she said.
The Manchester VA provided no comment on the data.
The VA said it is taking several steps to address the data. Veterans waiting longer than 30 days for an appointment will be given the option to continue waiting, reschedule if possible, or see a non-VA provider.
The state’s two U.S. senators issued statements about the report.
U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, credited the VA for canceling bonuses, which she called for, but she said more must be done, including regular audits.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection - 4
- Derry board to consider proposal to extend commercial zoning along Route 28 - 0
- Nashua's Broad Street Parkway on track to open August 2015 - 0
- Work to support Sullivan County agriculture made possible with USDA grant - 0
- Claremont to negotiate $1 sale of historic Sawtooth Building - 0
- Hampton board denies appeal in beach condo complaint over AT&T antennas - 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride