John Stark graduates go out with a bang
Members of John Stark Regional High School's Class of 2014 wave to loved ones as they make their way onto the football field Saturday morning. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
In keeping with tradition, the Henniker and Weare students ended their commencement ceremony with the blast of a cannon and the official John Stark fight song.
This year’s graduates distinguished themselves not only academically, but in their strong sense of community, said principal Christopher Corkery.
The principal noted that about 70 percent of this year’s graduates are leaving high school with credits far exceeding the 22-credit core requirement.
Salutatorian Justin Abbot challenged his classmates to rethink their idea of a perfect day, of a perfect life.“What if you woke up and it was all a dream?” he said. “But your thoughts have influence on the real world and the better your mind set the better your life will be.”
From hosting a blood drive to campaigning against capital punishment to honoring veterans on Memorial Day to promoting a climate of tolerance, John Stark students have kept on making a difference, Morin said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride