Home » Opinion » Editorials
Reams' ouster made losers of all involved
Attorney General Joseph Foster’s mistaken and misguided removal of Jim Reams, Rockingham County’s elected county attorney, has resulted in a long list of losers and not a single winner.
Rockingham County voters, who chose Reams as county attorney in eight consecutive elections, lost out big time as their duly elected official was stripped of power by the New Hampshire attorney general’s office, which failed to make a case. This action hurt not only Rockingham County voters, but undermined the security of elected officials across the Granite State.
Reams is a loser because at the end of a long, successful career, his reputation has been tarnished by charges that were never substantiated or fully refuted.
The women allegedly harassed by Reams lost because they were never given their day in court, and their accusations, which we take seriously, remained just that — unsubstantiated accusations. The women never received a ruling from the courts on whether they, in fact, had been victims of harassment.
“Rockingham County prosecutes over 2,800 felony offenders per year, and by any measuring stick available, does so very effectively,” Garza wrote. “Do we really want a system where any one of those offenders, or a disgruntled employee, or a political rival, can merely make a complaint draped in a false tapestry of legitimacy which results in the will of the People being overturned for an indefinite period of time?”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
- Derry fire chief is retiring - 0
- Aldermen not quite ready to endorse art plan - 0
- Citing transparency, Merrimack officials won't hold private meetings with pipeline developers - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama