Home » Opinion » Editorials
Reams' ouster made losers of all involved
Attorney General Joseph Foster’s mistaken and misguided removal of Jim Reams, Rockingham County’s elected county attorney, has resulted in a long list of losers and not a single winner.
Rockingham County voters, who chose Reams as county attorney in eight consecutive elections, lost out big time as their duly elected official was stripped of power by the New Hampshire attorney general’s office, which failed to make a case. This action hurt not only Rockingham County voters, but undermined the security of elected officials across the Granite State.
Reams is a loser because at the end of a long, successful career, his reputation has been tarnished by charges that were never substantiated or fully refuted.
The women allegedly harassed by Reams lost because they were never given their day in court, and their accusations, which we take seriously, remained just that — unsubstantiated accusations. The women never received a ruling from the courts on whether they, in fact, had been victims of harassment.
“Rockingham County prosecutes over 2,800 felony offenders per year, and by any measuring stick available, does so very effectively,” Garza wrote. “Do we really want a system where any one of those offenders, or a disgruntled employee, or a political rival, can merely make a complaint draped in a false tapestry of legitimacy which results in the will of the People being overturned for an indefinite period of time?”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate