Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers
— From our June 18 story on the issue of allowing chickens in Manchester
You can't make this stuff up. Actually, we probably could. It would save on having to send reporters out to report. But I don’t think the stories would be as creative.
If we are going to allow chickens, will the law allow us to stand our ground against rogue poultry?
Are there, in fact, techniques or weapons that work particularly well against chickens? I have heard, alas, that they may be as scarce as hen’s teeth.
I think Alderman-at-Large Levasseur is right to keep pecking away at this idea. The unintended consequences of a chicken ordinance need more study. Otherwise, Manchester may find itself with egg on its face.
Meanwhile, a friend here at work has been crowing over last week’s U.S. Open golf win by German Martin Kaymer. My friend happens to have been born in Germany (in a log cabin with mice as roommates, to hear him tell it). Kaymer is the first German to win the Open.
Write to Joe McQuaid at Publisher@unionleader.com or on Twitter at @Deucecrew
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Monitoring social media - 2
- Siege Day launched at Pinkerton; students gain hands-on experience with homemade catapults - 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 0
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 2
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
- Inventor excites Manchester fourth-graders with math, science possibilities - 0
- Nashua officals tour technical education center - 0
- City fourth-graders to meet entrepreneur Dean Kamen - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 1
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 10
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 1
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 4
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Health costs up for Manchester
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen