Campers stranded, roads damaged in Woodstock downpour
Moorehead said he hadn't seen Lost River or the Pemigewasset River running as high as they are since Hurricane Irene in 2011 or Hurricane Gloria in 1985.
As quickly as the Lost River rose, it has quickly receded, he said.
The Lost River campers are now able to walk out, but Moorhead said part of the road near the bridge leading in and out of the campground was washed away. Gravel needs to be brought in to repair it.
He urged people to stay out of both the Lost and Pemigewasset rivers for fear they will be swept away in water that continues to run high and fast.
Moorhead also said that about a three-mile stretch of Route 112 was damaged and portions were washed out. He said the eastbound lane has "some significant damage" but light traffic is being allowed through.
At 4 a.m., the weather service said the river was at 9.9 feet, above the 9-foot flood stage. It predicted the river would continue rising to 11.5 feet Thursday morning, but will fall below flood stage by late this afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 11
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced