Can the GOP duplicate Nixon's political revival?
The similarities: By the late 1960s, as today, the country was pivoting away from a Democratic Party and President that seemed incapable of mastering the crises of the times in which they lived. Then it was LBJ; today, Barack Obama.
The Cold War is over. The nation is no longer united on America’s role. A majority want out of the Middle East wars into which George W. Bush led the nation. And the GOP is itself, like the Democrats of 1968 over Vietnam, divided on Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Ukraine, and how to deal with the challenges of Vladimir Putin’s Russia and Xi Jinping’s China.
Even if the country was not wildly enthusiastic about Richard Nixon that year, America knew the Johnson administration was failing, that it was devoid of ideas, that in that year of turmoil, 1968 — a year of assassinations, war, riots, and social revolution, and a Democratic Party that could not hold itself together, let alone the country — we needed new leadership. We needed new ideas.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection - 4
- Derry board to consider proposal to extend commercial zoning along Route 28 - 0
- Nashua's Broad Street Parkway on track to open August 2015 - 0
- Work to support Sullivan County agriculture made possible with USDA grant - 0
- Claremont to negotiate $1 sale of historic Sawtooth Building - 0
- Hampton board denies appeal in beach condo complaint over AT&T antennas - 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride