All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Claremont home saved from garage fire

CLAREMONT - Investigators believe recently-used stain rags left in a garage spontaneously ignited, starting a fire early Saturday that firefighters contained before it spread to the house, the Claremont Fire Department said.

According to a press release, the owner of the house at 22 Chestnut St. noticed smoke in the hallway around 4:30 a.m.

He checked the garage and found severe heat and more smoke, then went back to the house to wake his family and get everbody outside.
Firefighters contained the fire around 6 a.m., but work continued to reach old asphalt shingles that were burning under a steel roof deck installed recently, the release said.

The last firefighters left the scene around 9 a.m. There were no injuries.
The fire department said the house had some minor smoke and heat damage.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle