August 08. 2017 9:11PM

Timeline of events, disturbing details about Farmington murders revealed by prosecution

Union Leader Correspondent

Timothy Verrill, accused in the murders of two Farmington women in January, is escorted into Strafford County Superior Court before his bail hearing Tuesday afternoon. (KIMBERLEY HAAS/Correspondent)

DOVER — Disturbing details and a timeline of events surrounding the deaths of Christine Sullivan and Jenna Pellegrini were revealed during a bail hearing Tuesday at Strafford County Superior Court.

The bodies of Sullivan, 48, and Pellegrini, 32, were found beneath a tarp outside 979 Meaderboro Road in Farmington on Jan. 29. The two women were allegedly killed by Timothy Verrill, 35, of Dover, on Jan. 27.

On Tuesday, State Police Sgt. Brian Strong testified that Sullivan’s boyfriend, Dean Smoronk, the owner of the house, called Farmington police to say he believed she may be missing, and was fearful something happened to her after he returned home from checking on a rental property in Cape Coral, Fla. That was at 3:32 a.m. Jan. 29.

When Strong responded to the scene later that morning, he saw blood in the kitchen on and near the refrigerator, damage to the kitchen ceiling and a large pool of blood. A shovel with blood on it was in a three-season room.

Outside, he saw the tarp where Sullivan and Pellegrini’s bodies were discovered. Strong said Sullivan had a fractured skull and was stabbed in the neck and lungs.

“Was she stabbed in the heart as well?” Assistant Attorney General Geoffrey Ward asked.

“She was,” Strong responded.

Strong confirmed Pellegrini was stabbed in the neck, torso and back a total of 43 times.

State police found Pellegrini’s purse and a white, trucker-style hat at the scene.

Strong said during a search of Smoronk’s property conducted in July, investigators used an excavator to dig up three knives wrapped in a flannel shirt that Verrill was allegedly wearing at the time of the murders.

Ward asked if either woman had drugs in her system. Strong said the Medical Examiner’s Office determined they both had methamphetamines as well as other drugs in their systems. Strong said Smoronk and Sullivan sold meth from the home.


Strong said Pellegrini texted Sullivan looking for a ride just before 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 25. The former Barrington woman needed a place to stay, and Sullivan agreed to take her in, Strong said.

Strong said at about 11 p.m. on Jan. 26, Verrill came to Smoronk’s house, allegedly to pick up drugs.

Strong said a friend of Verrill’s told police that when he got to the friend’s Farmington home after midnight on Friday, Jan. 27, Verrill was upset that Pellegrini was with Sullivan because he believed Pellegrini was an informant.

Smoronk told investigators that Sullivan relayed that Verrill returned to the house about 2 a.m. Friday. Records show Smoronk and Sullivan were on the phone for 15 minutes, and started talking at 1:46 a.m.

Smoronk had previously installed two video recording devices at his house; and one of them captured images of Verrill in a flannel shirt and hat with a mesh back. The second camera, which was pointed at a living room area, captured images of Sullivan at 3:34 a.m.

“Is that the last time we see Christine Sullivan from any of the video surveillance at the house?” Ward asked.

“Correct,” Strong responded.

The last time that camera captured footage of Pellegrini was at 6:38 a.m.

Images of Verrill walking through the living room toward a back door were captured at 6:47 a.m. Strong said he was holding his shoes and still had his flannel shirt and white, trucker-style hat.

Verrill was seen coming back through the room at 6:57 a.m.

Strong said that when Verrill got back to his friend’s home Friday morning, he was not wearing his flannel shirt or hat. Verrill allegedly asked his friend for a pair of pants to change into, and took three to four shots of whiskey.

Strong said before leaving his friend’s house, he said something about “two birds, one stone.”

Verrill was arrested in Lawrence, Mass., on Feb. 6 while seeking treatment at a medical facility. He was brought back to New Hampshire where he waived his right to arraignment Feb. 8 after pleading not guilty to the murders.

Verrill has been incarcerated since.

Smoronk, 55, was arrested in June after a traffic stop in Virginia and charged with manufacturing and distributing drugs after Virginia State Police allegedly discovered evidence of him making and selling steroids. He is still being held at Pamunkey Regional Jail.

The bail hearing will continue Sept. 6 at Strafford County Superior Court in Dover.