All Sections

RV sat for 2 days before body found inside

New Hampshire Union Leader

December 06. 2017 12:20AM
A Canadian man was found dead in this RV, which sat for two days in October at the Hooksett rest area on Interstate 93. (NH STATE POLICE)

New Hampshire State Police made a grim discovery when they checked on a motor home that had been parked for two days at the gas pumps of the Hooksett rest stop on Interstate 93: The driver was dead.

“The call came in as more of a disturbance — ‘Can you get him to move?’” Trooper Nicole Stone said Tuesday.

Frank Sunde, 66, of Laval, Quebec, had apparently filled up his motor home with fuel on Oct. 15, walked into the vehicle and collapsed, said Stone, who was called to the rest stop on Oct. 17.

“It looks like he purchased the fuel, went back inside, and that’s when it happened,” Stone said.

She said it is odd that the RV was at the pumps for two days. But it could be that rest stop employees changed shifts without discussing it.

“Maybe a lot of people come and go in October,” she said.

Police found the receipt for the purchase, dated Oct. 15, beside Sunde’s body.

Stone said state police are waiting for a final determination from the New Hampshire Medical Examiner about his cause of death, but it does not appear to be suspicious. The New Hampshire Union Leader contacted state police after learning about the matter independently.

In 2014, Granite State Hospitality LLC opened up the new rest areas along I-93 in Hooksett. The redesign includes a state liquor store, a food court, a convenience store and a row of Irving Oil gas pumps.

Stone said the call came from the manager of the rest area.

Stone said the motor home with Quebec plates was parked at the pump station farthest from the complex. She and Trooper Dan Livingstone knocked on the vehicle several times, thinking they had to rouse the driver from his sleep.

When no one answered, they peered inside and saw a man face down in the motor home’s living area. Hooksett Fire Department forced entry into the vehicle.

Sunde had a couple of sons, and Stone spoke to one of them.

“I think he was enjoying a little trip around the United States,” she said. Although a Pembroke funeral home posted his death notice on its website, the notice said services will be held in Canada at a later date.

“The police were notified when the vehicle was discovered and they are in charge of handling the investigation,” company spokesman Erica Murphy wrote in an email. “Any further questions should be directed to State Police.”

Stone said police are called regularly to the rest stop and nearby park-and-ride lot about suspicious vehicles. Usually the issue involves abandoned cars.

Public Safety Hooksett