City man arrested, charged with weekend murder
In a press release early this morning, the Attorney General's office and Manchester police said Tony Hebert, 27, of 690 Rimmon St. in Manchester, was arrested Tuesday night in the shooting death of Pablo Samaniego early Sunday.
Hebert will be arraigned later this morning in Manchester District Court on a reckless second-degree murder charge, police said.
No further details were available on the arrest.
An earlier story follows.
Police make appeal for information in city murders
MANCHESTER - Investigators believe some residents of the Lake Avenue and Beech Street area know more than they are saying about last week's shooting death of Ramon Bonilla Rodriguez and urge them to come forward.
"Some folks in the neighborhood still have been very reluctant to come forward," Assistant Attorney General Benjamin J. Agati said Tuesday.
"We just have a firm belief that there are a few other individuals out there who, for one reason or another, whether they are unaware or they are unwilling, haven't come forward. If they could ... it would be incredibly helpful to us," he added.
No one has been charged as of Tuesday afternoon with killing Rodriguez, 38, a married father of three, who was fatally shot once in the back on the rear porch of his 227 Lake Ave. apartment about midnight July 12. Prosecutors said two weapons were involved and suspect there may have been more than one shooter.
"There are a variety of motives that we are looking at," Agati said, declining to elaborate.
Witnesses described hearing two types of gunshots and saw two men running out of the driveway and head east on Lake Avenue toward Beech Street. One witness said she saw a man get in to a waiting car at the corner of Beech Street and Lake Avenue.
Neighbors living closer to the Beech Street side of the block may have witnessed something, but are unaware it is significant because initial reports placed the crime scene closer to the intersection of Lake Avenue and Union streets, Agati said. He urged anyone on the block who saw something to contact police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040.
Agati said police are making considerable progress in the case. Residents who provided them with information so far have been "very helpful," he said. Investigators are meeting Wednesday with experts at the state forensic laboratory, he added.
The shooting death of Rodriguez does not appear to be related to the murder of Pablo Samaniego, 21, who was gunned down at Ferry and South Main streets on the West Side early Sunday.
"We still don't see any connection between the two," Agati said.
Samaniego was shot once in the head and was dead when police arrived about 2:52 a.m. No arrests have been made in that murder as of late Tuesday afternoon, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery A. Strelzin said.
The two murders bring to three the total number of homicides in Manchester so far this year. Police erroneously said Rodriguez's murder was the city's first homicide in 2011. It was the first citizen-involved murder.
The first homicide was the shooting death of James D. Breton, 50, on May 7 by a state trooper. During a more than 37-hour standoff during which an armed Breton threatened he would not be taken alive, he refused to release his 7-year-old daughter. The officer-involved shooting was ruled a justified use of deadly force.